Getting a Full Evaluation


Just a few tips on getting a full evaluation. I hear a lot that parent ask verbally requesting that they feel their child needs more support. Often times those requests gets ignored. It's important to remember that requests need to be put into writing, addressed to Administration, signed, dated, and hand delivered to the school. If you cannot hand deliver the request to the school then sending the written request certified mail will work too. This way you have confirmation the school has received it. Make sure you make a copy for yourself. The process should start fairly quickly once those steps have been taken. There are many different sample letters you can find online here are some examples -





Today's Date (include month, day, and year)

Your Name
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code
Daytime telephone number

Name of Principal or Special Education Administrator
Name of School
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear (Principal's or Administrator's name),

I am writing to request that my son/daughter, (child's name), be evaluated for special education services. I am worried that (child's name) is not doing well in school and believe he/she may need special services in order to learn. (Child's name) is in the ( _ ) grade at (name of school). (Teacher's name) is his/her teacher.

Specifically, I am worried because (child's name) does/does not (give a few direct examples of your child's problems at school).

We have tried the following to help (child's name): (If you or the school have done anything extra to help your child, briefly state it here).

I understand that I have to give written permission in order for (child's name) to be evaluated. Before the evaluation begins, I have some questions about the process that I need to have answered (list any questions you may have). I would be happy to talk with you about (child's name). You can send me information or call me during the day at (daytime telephone number). Thank you for your prompt attention to my request.

Sincerely,

Your name

cc: your child's principal (if letter is addressed to an administrator)
your child's teacher(s)


Note: If your child has been identified as having a disability by professionals outside the school system, add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph above:

(Child's name) has been identified as having (name of disability) by (name of professional). Enclosed is a copy of the report(s) I have received that explains (child's name) condition.

Another Sample -

Today's Date

Your Name
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code
Daytime telephone number

Name of Principal or Special Education Administrator
Name of School
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear (Principal)

I am writing to request that my son/daughter be tested for special education services under the Individuals with Disability Education Act and any disabling condition under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

(Child’s name) is in 2nd grade and has difficulty understanding what is being taught in class as well as following auditory directions given to him/her by the teacher. My concern is that my child has a learning disability and therefore may require additional assistance in certain areas of the school’s curriculum. In addition to an assessment for a learning disability, I am also requesting that my child be tested in all areas, in order to rule out any other disabilities (child’s name) might have. If the School has any general education intervention programs, such as Response to Intervention or Student Study Teams, this may be done simultaneously with the assessment for special education but should not slow down the mandated time lines for assessments under IDEA.

Thank you for your timely assistance in the matter. I will be looking forward to meeting with you and the team of professionals to review my child's records and discuss my concerns and the teams concerns further.

Sincerely,

Parent’s Name
Phone/Contact



Get 10% off Gluten-free candy from OldTimeCandy.com: use code: 08891

No comments:

Post a Comment